FLU VACCINATIONS – The 2018/19 flu vaccination clinics for adults and children are about to start - speak to Reception to book an appointment if you are eligible for a free flu jab.
Have you had your flu jab?
The flu vaccine is offered free of charge on the NHS to people who are at risk to ensure that they are protected against catching flu and developing serious complications.
You are eligible to receive a free flu jab at The Avenue Surgery if you:
- are 65 years of age or over (date of birth on or after 31 March 1954)
- are pregnant
- are two or three years of age (born between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2016)
- are living in a residential or long-stay care home
- have certain medical conditions, such as:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory disease, such as asthma (which requires an inhaled or tablet steroid treatment, or has led to hospital admission in the past), Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease (such a heart failure/ischaemic heart disease)
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease (such as Hepatitis)
- chronic neurological disease (includes Parkinson's disease, Motor Neurone disease, Stroke, MS, Cerebral Palsy or learning disability, etc)
- splenic function (problems with your spleen)
- immunosuppression (including Chemotherapy, HIV, High Dose Steroids)
- being seriously overweight (BMI of 40 and above)
- receive a carer's allowance, or you are the main unpaid carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
- Health and social care staff (aged 18 years and over) employed by a registered residential care/nursing home or registered domiciliary care provider who are directly involved in the care of vulnerable patients/clients who are at increased risk from exposure to influenza, meaning those patients/clients in a clinical risk group or aged 65 years and over, are now eligible for a free flu jab here at The Avenue Surgery.
Please Note: Eligible health and social care staff will need to take identification with them to confirm their eligibility. Appropriate identification includes their name and the name of their employing organisation. This could be an ID badge or a letter from their employer or a recent pay slip.
If you are unsure whether you are eligible for a free flu jab, just contact the surgery. Telephone 01273 606214 to check you are eligible and to book your appointment.
For more information visit the The NHS website vaccinations page